04 February, 2006

Daily Grind

Once of my favourite and most important kitchen tools is the Mortar and Pestle. I believe every kitchen should have one. Although mine's a heavy solid granite piece, even ceramic ones are very good (although may not be as sturdy or lasting). It is particularly useful for infusing, grinding and mixing herbs and seeds, making sauces and purees.

I find that this not only helps release the essential oils and flavours from ingredients but imparts that little more 'feel' into the preparation of the food. I suggest using a combination of coarse Sea Salt and Extra Virgin Olive Oil when grinding moist ingredients (such as herbs) as an abrasive.

In fact, I find it useful to grind coarse sea salt into a powder for cooking - it dissolves easier and I don't over salt (personally I do prefer Sea Salt over Table Salt as I believe it imparts a more natural flavour. Because I also grind herbs and spices for various other recipes, I find the resulting salt grind to have quite a delicate herbal infusion (imagine salt with a hint of rosemary) - I believe this flavour infusion helps turn each meal into something quite unique to the last.

Try some 'flavoured' salt of rosemary and lime zest sprinkled over your fish and chips next time for an intriguing taste sensation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home